The Steven Universe panel at New York Comic Con happened this morning, and in addition to a clip from Dewey Wins showing what happens after Steven’s return to Earth a release date was uttered: this winter.
It’s not the most precise release date, nor is it particularly imminent.
Looking at the release dates of Steven Universe episodes in the past:
- The show has aired a lot in October, but that definitely isn’t winter.
- The show premiered in November 2013 and aired several episodes in November 2014, but since then has only aired Gem Harvest in November 2016. Also, November isn’t winter either.
- Only three episodes have aired in December, once each in 2013, 2014, and 2016.
- January 2014 and 2015 aired several episodes, January 2016 gave us a bomb, and the end of January 2017 heralded the arrival of the Out of This World bomb.
- February is usually a great month for getting new Steven Universe episodes, with only 2016 being skipped (presumably to build up to that summer’s Steven Nuke, since March and April were both also skipped).
They can always change things up, especially since we are currently in the longest break in premiers in the show’s history, but assuming they stick to their old habits we could easily be waiting until January to see Dewey Wins and what comes next.
Just as a small correction: January 2016 had the Birthday Week; Out of This World was at the end of January 2017.
My guess is we’re in for another January bomb.
I have no theories on how my eyes skipped over what might be my favorite Steven Bomb.